Sunday, February 03, 2008

Not Meant to Be


OK... time for what I'm sure will be numerous commentaries on Super Bowl 42. I remember when the Dolphins went 17-0 to win in 1972, and after tonight they remain the only to complete an undefeated season. It was actually a pretty exciting game... both defenses, especially the Giants, played well, and Eli Manning looked like... well, like a champion. Congrats to the Giants... and to the Pats as well.

Perhaps of interest, on this date in 1912, new U.S. football rules changed a touchdown to count six points instead of five; four downs were allowed instead of three; and the kickoff was moved from midfield to the 40 yd. line, helping shape the game we watch today.



But, for those who understand that there is more to life than football, on this date in 1959, a plane crashed near Clear Lake, Iowa, claiming the lives of rock-and-roll stars Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson... the day the music died.

Wait, maybe there is a connection here... my guess is the Pats feel a whole lot like Don McLean describes in his 71 hit, "American Pie."

A long, long time ago...I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And, maybe, they’d be happy for a while.
But february made me shiver
With every paper I’d deliver.
Bad news on the doorstep;
I couldn’t take one more step.
I can’t remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride,
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died.
So bye-bye, miss american pie.
Drove my chevy to the levee,
But the levee was dry.
And them good old boys were drinkin’ whiskey and rye
Singin’, "this’ll be the day that I die.
"this’ll be the day that I die."

And, Eli Manning... no Chevy for him... a Cadillac Escalade Hybrid. I guess the music is still playing afterall.

No comments: