Saturday, March 10, 2007

Calistoga


This weekend each spring ladies from Bay Area congregations gather at a spa/resort/hotel (not sure just what to call it) in Calistoga for a Ladies Retreat. During our time here the numbers attending have not been great, but Virginia has gone each year, and generally the ladies who go really look forward to it.

The format is as much about sabbath as it is about traditional retreat things like devotionals and speakers in group settings. In fact, one of our elders here has nick-named the event "spa and chapel" to tease the ladies. They don't really care... as long as they can schedule a massage.

This year it's different for Virginia for at least two reasons. First, this year she is one of the speakers. Those of you who know her realize that means she's been planning her session for months now, with really concentrated prep the last couple of weeks. She walked through her near-final outline a couple of days ago, and it made me wish I could go... she's done a great job... the ladies are in for a treat.

The other reason this trip to Calistoga is different is that she's accompanied by one of our Sugar Grove friends, Jennifer Edwards. Jennifer teaches school in Houston and is on spring break this week, so she came for a visit, flying in late Thursday night. It's already been fun catching up on what's been going on with her, and I know she'll enjoy the retreat as well. Virginia even recruited her to help with her presentation.

Of course, all the above means that I'm "baching it" this weekend. I always miss VJ when she's gone, but I can handle a couple of days no sweat. :-) The morning got off to a good start with a long run in the hills with Randy. As soon as I'm rested, there are things to get done around here, and I'm preaching tomorrow, so I won't be bored. Well, better go enjoy the 70 degrees and clear blue skies. Have a blessed weekend!

1 comment:

Karen said...

One of these days I will be able to go to one of those "spa and chapel" weekends... :) I am sure VJ had something great to share; hate that I had to miss it.