Friday, January 18, 2008

Oooh... That Smarts


I've always admired people who are intelligent, those who set the curve, who seem to rise to the top of the class. Sometimes it's been a grudging admiration when I was in the class, but admiration none the less. There have been times when I've thought I'm pretty intelligent... and then there are those other times.

I ran across this quote today by Bertrand Russell:

So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.

Now, I don't think Bertrand Russell is particularly known for his devotion to the Gospels, but he has a point. The Bible extols wisdom, but it doesn't hype intelligence. In fact, Jesus seems to be way more concerned about how we live, how we treat others, how we use our money, than how deeply we think. It seems that for Jesus, faithfulness trumps intelligence every time.

Having said that, I think I agree with Woodrow Wilson:

I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow.

Do your best to play it smart today!

No comments: