Saturday, May 02, 2009

Almost One Year

Back around Christmas both Jennifer and Jeremy took their old dad out for brief jogs at different times. They were very kind and we stopped and walked several lengthy stretches over the 3 miles we covered. At that point I wasn't too sure I would ever get back to consistent jogging or running. As I thought about it over the course of the next few weeks, I decided that I would continue to work hard at the gym, get back on my bike this spring, and just wait and see if the jogging would ever come around.


Every couple of weeks I'd try the same 3 mile course, jogging more and walking less each time, including a couple of outings while vi sting my mom in March. Then, two or three weeks back I managed to plod the whole three miles without stopping. That was pretty cool and helped me work harder on the elliptical machines at the gym.


Well, this morning my running buddy, Randy Moser, showed up at the house around 8:30, and we slowly headed out on a slow and steady run (jog really). We ended up covering about 5 miles. Other parts of my body were stiff and sore from not having run anywhere near that far in almost two years, but my Achilles felt fine, and I was pretty pleased, even as slow as we ran.


Sooo... six days short of one year post Topaz laser debriement of my right Achilles tendon, I am officially back on the roads... at least once in a while. :) I'm thankful for the skill of my surgeon, the Topaz procedure, and for God's creative genius as revealed in the body's ability to bounce back. Thank you!

I'll take my running shoes to Pepperdine next week and try to get in some short jogs in addition to climbing all those stairs. And... we'll see how it goes.

No comments: