Thursday, November 17, 2005

Mushroom Omelet and a Broken Chair

Jarrod and I drove past Rio Vista to the intersection of Hwy 12 and I-5 today to meet with Chris Goldman and talk about the training weekend Cordova is hosting in March. We chose that intersection because it's about half way between Antioch and Sacramento. There are several service stations and fast food joints, a 76 truck stop, and a "family restaurant"... a relic from another era.

Walking through the door of the restaurant was sort of like stepping into 1960... back when they called such establishments cafes. The waitress (yes, waitress... not server... 1960, remember) smiled and showed Jarrod and me to a booth to wait for Chris. She poured coffee and went about her rounds. We decided a table would work better for conversation, so we moved, and I had to switch the broken chair on my side of the table for a replacement. Our waitress, decked out in her burnt orange uniform... kept the coffee cups filled until Chris arrived.

We talked and ordered food and talked some more and ate. My mushroom omelet was passable, and the country potatoes were tasty, but I'm pretty sure I received this week's supply of grease. The conversation with Chris was productive, so it was definitely worth the trip... to the intersection and back to 1960.

1 comment:

Neena said...

That is a great blog. I love times like that. It always makes the best memories.