Friday, July 14, 2006

Back to Boston

It's funny how when I'm home by myself when Virginia is gone that it feels different than when I'm home alone and she's at work or at the store or.... It's not necessarily "bad" or anything, just a different feeling. Well, I experienced that feeling briefly this morning as I stopped by the house on the way to the office after taking her and Kaleb to the airport in Oakland. I imagine I'll experience it this evening as well. Gives me a renewed appreciation for folks like my mom who have lived alone for years.

Kapil brought Kaleb to the house yesterday afternoon, and we all hit In-N-Out Burger for Kaleb's last "fix" before returning to Boston. I really like In-N-Out for a variety of reasons... but that's another blog. Let's just say it wasn't a bad dinner for a busy Thursday night. Kapil had washed Kaleb's clothes, so basically all we had to do was repack, find places for his new stuff and souvenirs, get him a bath, and get to bed... all of which VJ and I got done after Kapil headed back to SF.

Got to admit it was a short night... VJ up at 4:00... me at 4:25... Kaleb shortly after. And I must admit that he was a trooper... "up-an-at-'em" as my mom used to say. Not sure if traffic was so light because of our 5:30 departure or because it was Friday or both, but we were unimpeded to the airport. I got them to the security line, stopped on the return trip for breakfast, made a fruitless stop at Fry's (once again, another story), and made it back to Antioch without a hitch.

VJ called a early afternoon to say they'd made it to Philly and were waiting for the new passengers to get on. Kaleb was enjoying his new Nintendo game-thing... sorry, I'm to pedestrian to even know which one it is. They'll get in about 2:30 PDT after a long day of flying. Jen will pick them up, and Kaleb's summer 06 vacation trip will become a pleasant memory. Let's see... we get to see him next on...

In the mean time, I'll just look forward to picking VJ up at the airport Monday night. :-)

1 comment:

Welcome! said...

Being at home is hard when "the other half" is gone. The house does somehow feel more empty than normal. It's the whole "only one toothbrush in the bathroom" sadness. I am pathetic!

I am glad that Virginia and Kaleb had a good trip to Boston. I hope Kaleb had a wonerful time in California. Well, try to stay busy until she returns. I know when I am gone Jeremy likes to watch lots of movies -- ones he knows I wouldn't want to watch if I was there. :)

We hope to see you guys soon!

Love,
Amber