Monday, July 17, 2006

Youth Minister Reflections

On the wall of the living area in every house we've lived in since the 70's has hung a clock... handmade from a rough hewn board and painted by the loving hands of a friend. We've changed out the actual battery-run clock probably 3 times over the years, but the message brushed on the surface all those years ago is the same... "God's timing is perfect..."

The events of the last couple of weeks have reminded me once again just how profound that simple statement is. While I'm not absolutely certain our church will choose to bring Kyle Sapp on as our new youth minister, I do know that he connected with our kids... and many of our adults... in ways none of our previous candidates have done. I'm sure that part of that is the week he worked along side many of them in Tuba City. But, more than that, I believe it's because God's timing on such things is better than ours... it's perfect.

When I think about Kyle's gifts and energy, I don't understand how some other congregation hasn't already hired him somewhere along the way... God's timing! When I think about the length of our process and the patience both Kyle and our church have demonstrated to get us where we are... God's timing! When I think of the way he was able to connect with teens and adults at Tuba City in ways that never would have been possible in a traditional "try-out" weekend... God's timing!

This week as Kyle talks to friends and mentors about his experience here... as he prays... as our church prays about a decision... as we all seek God's will... I trust that once again God's timing will be perfect.

1 comment:

Karen said...

God's timing... something to be thankful for in all circumstances. Thanks for reminding me.