Saturday, November 18, 2006

Migrating

A couple of weeks back I ordered a new laptop to replace my old one. It seemed like the thing to do... had so much info on the old one (also backed up) and a 3-year old hard drive; I could get a new version of the same machine from Dell (only lighter and much faster) for about 1/2 what I paid for the other one; the old one could be a back-up and travel machine for VJ. Sooo... I got an early Christmas present.

Instead of loading all the software from the old machine and moving all the files manually, I decided to go with the Dell-recommended software from LapLink called PCmover. It's supposed to move all your files and programs from the old machine to the new one as slick as a whistle. Well, after two days and two complete attempts and about nine hours of time as stuff moved over the USB cable, it's finally almost right. I think I'll have to reinstall some software, and PCmover did not move any of my pictures, but I think it may work. It's been a really frustrating process, but VJ has been a calming influence, and if it doesn't work out I can just do a system restore to Thursday and do it all manually. The interesting thing is that I decided to use PCmover to save time, but if I'd just done it all manually, I'd probably be done and not have the issues. Oh well....

Virginia has class at Sac State this weekend, and I came along too so we could hang out and explore a bit. We've done a little of that, however, most of the time has been spent with my computer... oh well.

Sunday I think I'll go to church at Rancho Cordova while she's in class, and then we'll head up to Tahoe for a few days... we were able to use a time share week that was about to expire. It'll be cold with maybe a little snow, but it's supposed to be mostly clear. I'll get some work done, run a little, catch up on some reading, and just relax. Back in town next Friday or Saturday... haven't decided yet. I'll try to post some this week if I can find a cafe with wireless... no connection at the resort. Maybe even a picture or two.

God bless and happy Sunday!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy Rancho... we'll hold the fort down tomorrow morning. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello Rick,

I work with Laplink and stumbled across your blog this morning. I'm so sorry to hear you had such an unusual experience with PCmover! We'd really like to try and figure out what went wrong with your migration. If you get a moment, I'd really appreciate if you could send me an email.

Thanks Rick - I'm so sorry things didn't work as they should, and want to get things sorted out for you.

Sara Cooke
sarac@laplink.com