Monday, November 06, 2006

New Week

Yesterday was a really good day... our worship time was rich as we praised and confessed and prayed and thanked God. Kay and Bill Jennings asked me to join them (along with the Koonce family) for lunch at their house. The food was good and the fellowship was better. Then... Virginia flew back into Oakland about 3:00. Nice way to complete the day.

Jeremy seems to be doing well with his surgery. I can't wait to see the movie. :-)

Back in the summer I decided to sign up to be a police chaplain. I had one call shortly after to comfort a lady whose husband had died. I finally got some training last week, and had my second call today. Again it involved a death. An elderly lady with Alzheimer’s lived with her husband, who was her primary care giver, with help 3 times a week. Well, he died in the night, and the lady didn't know it. I got the call this morning and drove over to the house. The police were still there along a care giver and a neighbor. Most of the morning I kept having the same conversation with the lady about her husband passing away. Two minutes later we'd start over with her asking questions about who all these people were and why they were here. It was interesting, however, after a while, something about it began to stick with her because she went from an attitude of defiant denial to just a puzzled description of the morning as weird. Perhaps the saddest part is that because they have no children and no family in the state, she went to a convalescent home today, likely never to return to her house again. It makes me wonder who, how, when the house and all her stuff will be taken care of. Hard to know.

Well, better get this posted and head for bed. Blessings!

No comments: