Saturday, April 05, 2008

Quotables

I got to thinking about what makes certain things we say memorable and others... well, less than memorable. I decided that sometimes it's because the saying contains wisdom at some level... sometimes the saying is funny or clever... maybe most often it's because (wise or clever) the saying speaks to us, at some level, where we live. Here are three quotes that spoke to me... at some level.

"Never knock on Death's door: ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!" - Matt Frewer
Not sure this one qualifies as wise, but it is pretty funny. Also, in the last couple of weeks there have been several people we know touched by death. They were not all able to "run away" from death's door, but they certainly left legacies that spoke of life.

"People who work sitting down get paid more than people who work standing up." - Ogden Nash
When I read this one, I assumed he was saying something like the banker and the executive get paid more than the guy with the shovel or the one waiting on tables. Then I thought about it and decided that a big part of my work life (teaching, ministry) has involved a lot of standing up on the job... maybe he was at least partially right for me as well.

"I'm thirty years old, but I read at the thirty-four-year-old level." - Dana Carvey
Pretty funny, but to me it also is a reminder that when you stop learning... well... you just get calcified as new ideas pass you by (creak).

No comments: