Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Couple of Quotes

A few years ago I remember seeing a cartoon where a guy was unpackaging a computer as quickly as possible. The caption said something like, "I need to get this set up before it becomes obsolete," highlighting just how quickly technology changes, a fact we all live with.

Here's a quote by R. D. Laing, Scottish psychiatrist and existential philosopher, that suggests we live in a time when tech isn't the only thing subject to rapid change:
We live in a moment of history where change is so speeded up
that we begin to see the present only when it is already disappearing.
I wonder what the impact of that is on the church in general and upon people of faith who want to make a difference but wonder how best to do that.

This quote (courtesy of Heartlight.org) is one I need to read pretty often:

It's hard for God to walk with a man who gets his mind made
up to do things his own way.
-- Norvel Hayes

1 comment:

Amanda Brooke Kilgore said...

Makes me think about how I soooo wish the boys were older sometimes, but then I try to take a breath and enjoy the moments as they come in their own perfect ways (unless it's just a REALLY bad day - then I truly can't wait for it to end fast enough).