Saturday, September 17, 2005

College Football

College football has always been fun for me, and I've always liked watching it more than the NFL... not sure why... just do. Growing up as a kid in Oxnard, I was a big USC fan... which was convenient since they were usually a top 5 team in the 60s. I didn't play football in HS (band and cross country were my things), but I did play in the L.A. Coliseum once... it was "band day," and we were part of the halftime show. Anyway, it's quite nostalgic to be back in CA and USC being so good again... I can hear that Trojan fight song even as I write, and they're putting on Arkansas, 63 to 10 with 11 minutes left... make that 63-17... the Pigs just scored.

Pretty much all of my family has Oklahoma roots, and my mom has always been a big OU fan, so I guess part of me marches to "Boomer Sooner" as well. And in the 70s and the last few years it's been easy to be a Sooner fan as well.

Ooooooh...pig...soooey!! I never got where I could say that, but after a few years in Arkansas I even got to where I would root for the Hogs. However I must admit that I followed their stellar cross country team and Hogs basketball a little more closely.

In the 80s I had a relative that played at Florida State, so in those years in 80s and 90s when Miami, Florida, and FSU were always rated among the top teams, I found myself at least mentally doing the tomahawk chop.

Virginia's uncle played at Texas back in the 50s and is a huge UT fan, so part of me likes that burnt orange as well. I know Texas A&M folks won't understand this, but I also have pulled for them at times.

Notre Dame... the team everyone loves to hate. Big rivals for USC and many other teams. Not sure why I also root for the Irish at times... maybe just to irritate those other folks who hate 'em....

UCLA... Cal... Penn State... I've rooted for them at times as well over the years. It makes me wonder how I can be so schizo about college football. I mean, I know plenty of folks who are died-in-the-wool fans for their team... and their team only. I just don't know... maybe I have commitment issues.

Whatever... college football isn't life... but it can be fun.

No comments: