Thursday, September 15, 2005

Musings on Reading

I've always enjoyed reading... as a kid I could get lost in a book or a comic book. My mom tells me that my reading even made it pretty hard to get my attention sometimes. I seldom enjoyed reading stuff I was assigned to read... like that science chapter... or stuff that someone told me would be "good for me" to read... although I guess even here there have been some exceptions. I've enjoyed most reading purely for pleasure (which I don't do much of anymore) or things that I think will help me grow in some way... and that's a pretty long list.

Both my kids were into reading as well when they were young... especially Jennifer... she gobbled up books as a kid. And she seems to have passed that passion on to Kaleb. While they and Fok were settling into the apartment and Jen was getting ready to teach her classes at Brandeis, Kaleb was not in school yet, so he tagged along with her. They were reading the latest Harry Potter book on the commuter train, etc., but it wasn't going fast enough for him, so he decided to finish it on his own (he's entering 1st grade). Well, he finished it and decided he should read the others as well... since he hadn't "read them himself" yet. By the time school started, he had completed all five books. I'm sorry, but I just can't get over that. I just hope he has some time to play outside as well. :-)

Some time back, Virginia and I decided to read through that chronological Bible together... outloud. It took us about 18 months to do the years worth of readings, but we did it! Then we decided to read some other books together as well. I decided we could walk and read at the same time, so we did that with Blue Like Jazz... great book by the way. It then got too dark to read and walk, so we're walking faster and then reading Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire. Almost done with that one, so need to find another one. It's really pretty neat doing it this way. I'm pretty groggy when we hit the road (not being a morning person), but I'm always glad we made it out when we go. Now for that next book to read... hmmm... maybe we should try Harry Potter???

1 comment:

Karen said...

Yes, Rick... read the Potter books. They're fun!

OK, I followed your instructions and am blogging from sea... docked at Castaway Cay today. Emily is off on an excursion with the teens, Noah and Brian are bottom fishing, and the younger 2 went to dig in the sand with the kids' club. We have a stingray excursion later this afternoon. See you all in a week!