Monday, September 19, 2005

Thrive!

Back in the spring I switched my health insurance to Kaiser Permanente. More bang for the buck, but my first experience with Kaiser. I went online a while back and selected a primary care doc from the profiles available at the Antioch Kaiser center. That appointment was today at 2:00. When I first walked in the door, it was a little confusing... all the stations, people going everywhere... but the signage was good, and I found myself going from one helpful person to the next until I finally saw my doc. He figured out I was in for my "I just turned 55 check-up," so he checked me over, asked a bunch of questions, typed in his computer terminal, and scheduled me for several lab tests. I'll need to do those another day... have to fast 12 hours first.

He also gave me the form to get a "flexible sigmoidoscopy" as well. Not looking forward to that one, but I've had several relatives develop colon cancer, so I guess it's time to get that done. After reading the instructions, I think all the prep for the test will be worse than the test itself... I guess I'll find out. I need to call to schedule it... will have to drive to Walnut Creek.

I was really impressed with the friendliness of all the people I spoke with at Kaiser. They also seem to have health care well organized to cut costs... although it feels a bit mechanized... so the friendliness is a nice touch. I got the idea that they all are trying to do their best to help... to see that each patient really does... thrive.

No comments: