Thursday, September 01, 2005

The Ties That Bind

I know Katrina is on everyone's mind... and screens... and I know that multiple people are sharing thoughts and feelings and ideas about her path of destruction. I know that the government and some agencies are being criticized (and maybe rightly so) for not bringing aid quickly enough. I know there are miserable and hurting people who are slowly but surely being evacuated from New Orleans to Houston and other places; and I know that many who left affected areas a day or two ago are living in hotels or with friends or family all over the mid-section of the country.

Today I found out that Houston area Churches of Christ are cooperating among themselves and with other groups to feed and aid the thousands who are refugees in Houston hotels. Within three miles of the Sugar Grove building (where I used to be on staff), there are 3000+ in hotels as long as their money lasts. Wednesday night SG fed 500 at the building. Spring Woodlands (on the north side of town), where Lauren's parents worship, is undertaking similar measures. The IMPACT inner city church is gearing up to help.

I can't be there to roll up my sleeves and serve food, but I can pray for their efforts and I can send money. We're taking up a special contribution on the 18th... may God multiply it and bless its use beyond what we imagine.

No comments: