Thursday, June 08, 2006

Counters and Sod

Today was a busy day at our house. About 8:30 this morning a bit truck rolled up with 300 square feet of rolled sod on a pallet. The driver expertly maneuvered his fork lift to place the pallet on the driveway near the garage. It was in the shade, and I was working on a cup of coffee, so I went back inside. About 15 minutes later the guys from Granite Transformations pulled their truck up to begin installing our new counter tops. It's a different procuct and process... a Manufactured product using approximately 95% natural stone combined with a specially formulated polymer... then they install it over your existing counter tops, eliminating the demolition costs. Check out the link if you want details. They started unloading, taped heavy paper all over the floor to protect the surfaces, and began the installation.

In the mean time I headed out to lay the sod. Last fall I had gotten so frustrated with the little patch of grass we had... so much crab grass and weeds... that I used Roundup to kill it all. After it dried up I tilled it up, raked it out, smoothed it over, and let it set up over the winter. After the dirt dried out, I tilled it up again a couple of weeks back, spread some fertilizer, and smoothed it out again. Thus prepared, it was a pretty easy job today. I pulled up the few weeds that had grown up, laid the sod, and watered it deeply. It looks pretty good now... hope it still does in a couple of weeks.

The granite guys didn't get all the way done, and will be back around 8:00 in the morning to finish up. I'll post some counter top and sod pics tomorrow.
Went for a short run in the hills today. My leg is not all the way well, but I made it back home. Hopefully it will continue to heal. Later...

1 comment:

Karen said...

I want to know more about this sod story... we have a yard full of dirt with some scattered weeds, and I'd love to see real grass back there.