Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Getting Hot!


Well, it seems summer is arriving just in time for summer temperatures. It was 95 today and is supposed to continue to climb to 100 by Thursday and hover in the upper 90s at least through the weekend. One of the nice things about it being hot here... the humidity is low. Not at all like it was in Houston.

One of the weird things about weather here is what they call micro-climates. These are created by the ocean on the west, the valley on the east, and lots of hills and valleys in between. Here's an example... later this week when the air flow at the beach begins to blow off the ocean, kicking in the area's natural ac, the high in SF is supposed to be only 65. That same day here in Antioch, several hills and valleys away, a high of 98 is predicted. Sooo... assuming light traffic, we could drive 45 minutes and need a jacket. Go figure!!

Because my left calf is not yet up to a good run... and because it was hot today, I did about an hour pedaling hard on my bike this afternoon. Good workout... I worked steadily, kept my rpms up, and worked some hills. I was feeling pretty good about the time I was making on my 25 year old bike... then, while laboring up one hill, a real cyclist pulled along side, chatted a bit, then pulled away. It was pretty deflating... but just until I crested the hill. I got over it and enjoyed the rest of the ride. Hope you enjoy your ride as well... no matter what you're riding.

2 comments:

Josh said...

I ride the stationary bike at our gym, which overlooks the black mountians just north of us...It's really beautiful! Especially when the sun sets...all the mountains here turn a purple color. Only in AZ!

By the way, it's only getting up to 107 degrees today. So you keep your 95!!!

Philip said...

It's only as hot as you think it is.

At least that's what I keep telling myself here in Am Sam. So far, my theory of self-hypnosis only works when I enter an air-conditioned office building or when I stick my head in the freezer.