Monday, February 26, 2007

Influence 105

When I think about people who influenced me growing up, different people come to mind at different times, depending on what I'm thinking about or what has happened on a given day or maybe how I'm feeling.

Tonight as I sat own to write this I got to thinking about coming into the youth group as a 7th grader and who was influential during that time of transition. Really, three people came to mind, and they were all three older kids. Back in those days churches generally didn't have youth ministers, so our youth group was led by some parents... but mostly by older kids in the group. As the older leaders graduated and went on to work or college, the younger ones (who had been mentored by the older ones) stepped into to fill their leadership roles. Well, anyway the three names that came to mind were Calvin, Diane, and Jim. Since I later married into the Bean family, Diane and Jim became my in-laws. In 1962-63 they (and Calvin) were becoming friends... friends I could look up to... friends who influenced me.

Diane was sort of the girl leader in the group, but the think I remembered most about Diane is she taught me to sing tenor. I actually think that didn't happen until a year or two later, but I'll always be grateful for that.

Calvin Henry was the main leader in my early years, and he mentored Jim and me and others along the way. And... was he ever fast... maybe the best touch football player in the city. :-)

I like to think back to those years... simple youth devos... playing softball or touch football or miniature golf... singing at the Beans' house. God used all of that and each of them to help shape me as I grew. Thank you!

No comments: