Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Influence 106


People who were fortunate enough to sit at the feet of good teachers as they worked their way through school will often tell you that those teachers were both influential and memorable. I know it's true of my school years. Some teachers were memorable... some were inspirational and influential... some were both. I've already talked about my Kindergarten teacher, Mrs Lincoln, and my fourth grade teacher, Mrs Schneider. I think the next few posts I'll talk about a few other teachers.

In fifth grade the district changed the attendance lines, and the kids in our neighborhood switched from Larsen to Bard school. I think they were about the same distance away from home, but because we didn't have to cross a really major road, we could choose to walk to Bard instead of riding the bus. We usually rode the bus to school, but often walked home in the afternoon... especially if the weather was nice. However, about half way through the year something happened that often influenced my decision from day to day.

I had started band in 4th grade... choosing the trumpet. Actually, as I remember, my mom liked the idea of the trumpet because she really liked the playing of Louis Armstrong. Anyway, when they "tested" us, they told us I'd do fine on the trumpet, and I never regretted it... always felt sorry for those "reed lickers" in the early days because I figured I would squeak my clarinet or sax just as bad as they usually did. That was not a problem with brass instruments.

I was a fair trumpet player as a 2nd year in 5th grade, but there was no danger of me being first chair... just didn't seem to have the "chops" for the trumpet. The district band folks decided they needed a few low brass players, so they asked the trumpet players who might like to play the baritone. I volunteered, got the assignment of a school horn, and started practicing... at home. Now, especially as a 5th grader, a baritone is a pretty big load to carry a couple of miles, so on days I took the horn home, I chose the bus. I remember one day we had a substitute driver who wouldn't allow me to bring that big horn on the bus because it wouldn't fit in the seat... I had to walk that day. Man, were my arms tired!!

I always figure I'd have been a pretty average trumpet player, even if I worked at it, but I took to the baritone easily. My mouth seemed to be more suited to the larger mouth piece, and I loved the mellow tone. I got to play in an all-district orchestra in 5th and 6th grades. (I know, I know, baritone is not an orchestral instrument, but they were short on low brass, so I played trombone music.) I had good success in Jr High Band, and that carried on into high school, resulting in first chair for a couple of years, all district, lots of fun, and even being selected band president my senior year. OK... yes, I was a full fledged band geek... but it was lots of fun, and I learned a lot of music.

Sooo... I want to thank my elementary band teacher for giving me a shot on the baritone. I don't remember his name, but I've always been grateful for the opportunity.

As a foot note, I married a "reed licker" (Virginia played the alto clarinet), and that worked out just fine. :-) However, I must point out that both our kids chose the brass root, Jennifer playing the French horn and Jeremy the trombone. I guess I should check with my old biology teacher to see how that compares to breeding pea plants. Good night!

No comments: