Saturday, June 02, 2007

New Bike

Anyone who knows me very well knows that my preferred exercise routine is simply to lace up my running shoes and head out for a run. That experience has been enhanced here in Antioch by our proximity to the hills and trails of Contra Loma Regional Park and Black Diamond Mines Regional Preserve. There are miles and miles of winding trials that traverse the valleys of these two wonderful preserves.

However, having run for over 40 years and all the hills have taken a toll on my right Achilles tendon... nothing major, but pretty sore off and on. Anyway, because of that I've been riding my bike a little more than usual. I often ride it into the office 2 to3 days a week, and I've recently added in some longer rides, especially when my Achilles is sore.

My bike is pretty old... bought it used in 1986 or '87. Not a bad bike, especially back then, but the technology has really changed over the years, so I decided to get a new one for my birthday-Father's Day-Anniversary present. :-) A friend works at a bike shop and Trek was running a sale, so I got a good deal on a Trek 1500 road bike, ordering it about a week ago. I picked it up yesterday, and it rides like a dream. The change in shifting technology alone is amazing. Here's a photo:


I'm looking forward to many blissful commutes and other miles. And just think of all the gas I'll be saving.

No comments: