Monday, September 03, 2007

Labor Day

I know that Labor Day was established as a day of rest in honor of the working man, but I also realize that it's taken many forms over the years. I guess the stereotypical image is going to the lake or park, probably grilling, maybe playing some sport with that friends that involves using a ball, often being with family, and always sweating alot, because it's hot pretty much everywhere I've ever lived on Labor Day.

Well, Virginia and I broke with tradition this year. We caught up on yard work we had not gotten to because of time with Jen, Fok, Kaleb, and (OF COURSE) Claire. She trimmed back her roses. I did some fertilizing and trimming. We also did a little shopping at a local hardware/garden store that was running 10% off everything in the store, including a fresh tank for the grill. Continuing the mundane, I got a haircut while she looked to save even more $$ at Dress Barn... thankfully we saved on only one top.

On the way home, we decided to grab supper in lieu of grilling those chicken breasts in the fridge... they'll taste good another night. We decided on Jerry's Hot Dogs and Gyros in a strip center actually pretty close to that hardware/garden place I mentioned. Now I realize that few of you have likely even heard of Jerry's, much less eaten there, but I gotta tell you that I had the best gyro sandwich I've had in years. The meat was tender, the sauce was spicy, the onions were incredibly sweet, the pita bread was fresh and tasty. And, that sandwich was a full meal... VJ even brought part of hers home. It was my first trip, but I'll definitely go back. And then there was the homemade baklava... we split a piece and that was plenty... yummmmm!! I don't know for sure who Jerry is, if he still owns the place, or the hot dogs are any good, but I definitely recommend the Greek stuff. Come see us and we'll take you there.

In the mean time, hope you had a great labor Day... no matter how you enjoyed it. And, if you have a moment or two, click here or the link in the Leungs in Moscow link in the side bar to see some new pics of Kaleb and sweet little Claire. Blessings!

No comments: