Friday, October 12, 2007

Holy Days?

Somebody recently sent me the cartoon above, and I have to say that it speaks volumes, eh?? How have we gotten to a place in our culture when a holiday (or holy day) that was started basically as a Christian alternative to a pagan ritual, a holiday that began as sincere thanksgiving to God for bountiful harvests, and a holiday for which the primary intent is to celebrate the coming of God into the world as a baby have all more or less been morphed into a series of retail sales, stretching from sometime in September or October until the end of the year?

I'm sure the "gods of commerce" are pleased... I imagine (for those who are Star Trek fans) the Ferengi would say we're off to a good beginning. I just wonder if Jesus might say something about "building bigger barns"...

No comments: