Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Roosevelt Trip - 1

When my parents married years ago, they lived in Roosevelt, Oklahoma, a little town in the southwest part of the state. I actually lived the first almost 6 years of my life there before we moved to California. My mom taught at the local high school, and my dad ran a service station. When we lived there, the population was less than 1000, and now it's only around 200, but it was a good town... and those who live there probably would say it still is.

Every other year they have a school reunion, and this past weekend I flew to Arkansas and drove with Mom out to Roosevelt for this year's edition. The last graduating class at RHS was 1993, as the school was closed. The last year Mom taught there was 1955, so her "kids" are all drawing Social Security. As the typing teacher, she had every student in class at least one year, and there were those who took an additional year of typing or maybe shorthand. Also, she coached girl's basketball several years. Suffice it to say that lots of them are glad to see her at those reunions... and she is thrilled to see them as well. Thank goodness for name tags. My role is pretty much to drive, keep up with stuff, take a few pictures, and just enjoy watching them all have fun. Here are some shots of the weekend.





No comments: