Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day

In recent years I've been all about reminding myself (and others to the extent they will listen) that even though we are Americans, loving our nation and all of that, we who claim to be Christians are first and foremost citizens of the Kingdom with a King named Jesus.

Having said that, my heart still picks up a few beats and I stand a little taller whenever I'm in a situation that involves folks who have served in the military, our flag, patriotic music, and other icons of the USA. Even though I'm pretty sure God doesn't consider our country to be his "chosen people" and the idea of a theocratic government scares me, I am proud of our heritage as a nation... proud that both as individual Americans and as a government we've tried to use His principles of mercy and justice to build a society. We have not always done that as well as we might have, but just the fact that we've elected a president whose ancestors could have been part of the slave labor that built the White House gives me hope.

Today is Veteran's Day and there was a parade in downtown Antioch. One of our kids from church is part of the Pittsburg HS Show Band (pretty good band that gets invited to places all over because of their style and showmanship), so I headed down town to catch the parade.

I was glad I did. There were actually a good crowd up and down the short parade route, and everyone was obviously having a good time. It was one more of those occasions when I was touched at a heart level by those who serve our nation, and I gave thanks to God for the blessing.

Here are a few pics I took with my phone.



The El Campanil Theatre, a downtown Antioch building from the 1920's that has been restored and host classic movies, plays and musical events.

The National Anthem being sung very well by a local talent.


Lots of flags.


The Pittsburg HS band, one of three HS bands in the parade.


And, of course, what parade is complete without some motorcycle clubs honoring our veterans. About the only thing missing was the horses... but, then again, those in the bands and other marching groups probably didn't miss the horses.

Happy Veteran's Day!!

No comments: