Thursday, December 11, 2008

Achilles Update

Well, I actually had a request for an update on my Achilles tendon following the Topaz procedure I had done last May. For the most part I am happy with the results so far, and would do it again, knowing what I know now.

There is definitely a "thickening" of the tendon where the procedure was done, but that specific area is totally pain free. Even at 4 and 5 months there would be some swelling and pain in the tissue around the tendon, and tight socks would cause swelling. That is better now... of course, I am avoiding tight socks.

About the only time the area around the tendon hurts consistently at this point is in the morning when I get up. A little stretching on the stairs helps that.

Inactivity causes the area to stiffen up and be a little painful, but there are fewer and fewer issues with that as time goes on, especially if I am regular at the gym, walking, etc.

I have not yet started back running... and may never... but if the gradual improvement continues, I may give it a shot in a couple of months... we'll see. In the mean time, walking, biking and even hard work on an elliptical do not cause any pain or swelling. It is so nice to be able to go on a long and even strenuous hike without having to limp for 3 days.

Both my brother (an kinesiology prof) and my ortho doc have suggested that gradual improvement will likely continue until about 1 year post surgery, at which time what I have is... well... what I can expect from then on. For now, I think the decision to have the procedure was a good one, and I'm thankful for the results so far.

2 comments:

Amanda Brooke Kilgore said...

So glad you are feeling WELL!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your TOPAZ update. I had the surgery January 2009. Hoping to gradually return to ballroom dancing in 10 days. Thanks for sharing your progress. It's encouraging!