Saturday, December 13, 2008

Random Holiday Thoughts

As I write this, I'm sitting cozied up in front of a very inviting fire. Though, in this age of technology and "spare the air" days in the Bay area, the crackling blaze before me is on the TV screen instead of in the fireplace next to it. Comcast offers several such Christmasy looking videos, complete with appropriate music, from the On Demand menu. Pretty cool (literally)... and no ashes to clean out!!

Anyone who knows me very well understands that I am not an eager shopper. While my kids are probably thinking, "That's gotta be in the top 10 understatements of the year," I do occasionally, out of necessity, swallow my aversion (some might say phobia) and head out to the stores. The Christmas season is one of those times when, after I actually have a few items selected, I get in the spirit and enjoy shopping... probably because of the smiling faces I'm envisioning. Well, VJ and I headed out this morning fairly early... not at 6:00 when the stores opened... but early enough that we still got the extra "power hour" discount at the checkout. I was both surprised and thrilled that we got much of our Christmas shopping accomplished within about 90 minutes... and all at discount, extra % off prices (but don't tell our kids). We were so thrifty, that we even got two free drinks at Pete's while "haggling" for a deal (actually, the sales person helped us accomplish that, as we were clueless).

So, what's up with so many Christians abandoning the word "holiday" during this season of the year? Suddenly, in the minds of many, it has become un-Christian to say "Happy Holidays" at this time of the year. Maybe they are just unaware that holiday derives from holy day. Oh well... Merry Christmas!

We got lights on the house a week or so back and stacked up all the other decorations in our bedroom. I think today we'll start to get them out and in their places. VJ's the boss on this one.

Today is Dick Van Dyke's birthday... born in West Plains, Missouri in 1925. Happy birthday, Dick!

Well, better go... time to put another log on the fire.

No comments: