Wednesday, December 10, 2008


Years ago when I was a school counselor, I was always saddened and a little mystified that this holiday season (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year) always yields some of the highest stats for depression and suicide. I came to believe that this says as much about our culture's penchant for instilling unreasonable expectations and a perspective that is always looking for the next "high" instead of gratitude for the blessings around us as it does about individuals.

Literary critic, Barbara Johnson once wrote, "Some complain because the rose has thorns; some give thanks because the thorns have roses." I often wondered (and still do) just what influences (nature/nurture) lead us to lean one direction or the other.

I think my basic inclination is to be one of those who complains because of the thorns... but the older I get and the more I witness some who are miserable in a "glass-half-empty" existence, the more I ask God to change me into one who can see the blossoms. How about you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rick, I don't see any comment for months now about how you view your Topaz procedure, now that you are 7 months out. My wife is considering it for a bum Achilles (some fraying on MRI, but no discreet tear) that has been bugging her for over a year, despite immobilization and physical therapy. How about a report on how you are doing?

Thanks a lot.

Bob