Saturday, July 18, 2009

And that's the way it is...

When I was a kid I didn't pay a lot of attention to the news, but I remember 3 names: Huntley, Brinkley... and Walter Cronkite. The impression I had of all three of these guys, and especially Cronkite, is that they were giving us the unvarnished news, before the days of "spin."

My two vivid memories of Walter Cronkite but two: his nightly sign-off, and his announcement of JFK's death... that emotion he so obviously felt and did not hide. I don't remember his laughing reaction to the moon landing they've been showing on TV... must have been watching that on NBC or ABC. :-)

People make their marks on us and on society, and they pass on. It seems to me that at least part of the depth and value of the marks they make have to do with the extent to which their character qualities match those of Jesus. What do you think?

No comments: