Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Roosevelt Reunion


From Thursday of last week through yesterday I was out of town visiting my mom. For 13 years in the 40's and 50's she taught high school business and English courses in Roosevelt, Oklahoma... home of the Rough Riders, my dad's alma mater (1929), and also my first "home town." In the spring of 1956 my family moved to California, where she continued to teach, my dad worked, and my brother and I grew up.

Well, for many years now Roosevelt has a school/town reunion every couple of years, and folks come from all over to see former classmates and teachers and just have a good time. The school in Roosevelt closed down in the early 90's, but the reunions continue, and it seems that most of those attending are grads from the 40's, 50's and 60's.

I flew to Little Rock on Thursday, and Mom and I drove to Hobart, OK on Friday and checked into our rooms at Hobart's only motel, the Highway Inn... not a bad place, but definitely past its prime.

We attended events Friday night and Saturday, and it was the greatest fun to see Mom interacting with her former students ("kids" as she calls them)... all of whom have been out of HS 50 years or more. I think every single one of them had her for typing, and some had her for short hand or bookkeeping or English; she was also the girls basketball coach.


They all expressed thanks for the things she taught them... in the classroom to be sure, but also deeper things... things they said impacted how they lived their lives. It was a good weekend. I think it wore her out, but I'm pretty sure she thought it was worth it.

Because both she and my dad grew up in OK there is still lots of family there. So, we also were able to visit with family from both sides, renewing relationships that time, distance, and hectic lives have pushed to the back burner. That was fun for both of us as well. We drove back to Cabot, AR on Monday and I flew home Tuesday.

I know we must live in the present, trusting God to walk with us as life's path unfolds before us, but every now and then it's also good to just stop, turn around, and take in the view of where we've been. Life is so full of rich blessings and meaningful relationships... it's important to take some time to just cherish them and give thanks.

No comments: