Tuesday, October 25, 2005

World Series

As a kid growing up in SoCal, I was a pretty serious Dodger fan. Most years it was a good time to be a Dodger fan, although I do remember one year that they blew a 13 game lead the last month of the season and (if I remember right) lost a one game playoff with the Giants. Most of the time, though, they were fun to watch... if you liked pitching, steals and defense. In the 60s with pitchers like Koufax, Podres, Drysdale and Osteen, the other teams usually didn't get too many runs.

In 1965, Sandy Koufax sat out game 1 of the World Series in the Twin Cities to observe Yom Kippur. (I wonder if that would happen today.) Minnesota beat up on Don Drysdale, Koufax's replacement that day, and even edged out a victory over Koufax the following day, but both Drysdale and Koufax returned to form in Games 4 and 5 of the Series when it moved to Los Angeles. Koufax did it again in Game 7 back in the Twin Cities to put the Dodgers over the top in the series. Koufax had a 0.38 ERA and 29 strikeouts in 24 innings. WOW!!

Here's a quote from the Twins Manager, Sam Mele, "If anyone would like to make the World Series the best five out of nine games I would be willing to go on with it right now. But Koufax is murder. Great! The best I believe I have ever seen. You hate to lose, but we didn't disgrace ourselves. We were beaten by the best pitcher that there is anywhere."

A couple of years earlier, the Dodgers gave me one of my favorite memories from Jr High when they swept the mighty Yankees 4 straight. Now, that was fun!!

Speaking of fun, Maury Wills was always good for lots of excitement. Whether it was beating out an infield hit, stealing a critical base, or playing the banjo, he provided lots of entertainment. With the Dodgers poor hitting in those days, it wasn't uncommon for them to win 1-0. Wills would beat out something or walk; he'd steal 2nd and maybe 3rd; then a sac fly would bring him home. Their hitting was so bad at times that Drysdale often had the best batting average, and it wasn't unusual for him to pinch hit.

My days as a rabid Doger fan are long gone... partly because we haven't lived in SoCal since the 70s, but also because I just don't follow baseball like I did as a kid. However, living in Houston for 14 seasons did sort of shape me into an Astros fan. I think they sort of reminded me of the old Dodgers in that many of the stars of the team have spent most of their careers as Astros. So many players today bounce around from team to team like bumper cars at a carnival. Anyway, all that to say that I'm pulling for the Astros. How about you?

No comments: