Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Rose Bowl


For some reason, maybe growing up in the 60s in Southern California had something to do with it, I have pretty much always been a USC fan (except during basketball season when I rooted for UCLA... but that's another story). I think part of it was all the exciting running backs they've produced over the years. I first remember Heisman winners from the 60s, Mike Garrett and O.J. Simpson. Later Charles White and Marcus Allen were Heisman winners, along with should've-been-winners Ricky Bell and Anthony Davis. I remember one year in the 80s when Notre Dame was up pretty big at the half, and Anthony Davis (AD) ran the 2nd half kickoff back for a touchdown, scored four more times, and led USC to a huge comeback win. And then there is Sam Cunningham, who had a great NFL career with New England, yet he doesn't come close to cracking the USC elite. If you just have to know more, you can click here.

Then there's Texas... over the years I've admired their program and pulled for them quite often... not tonight.

Sooo... here I am sitting with 1:04 left in the game... USC with a 5 point lead and Texas driving... I'm sweating bullets... :-)

Vince Young just scored... defensive end lost containment. 19 seconds for USC... almost surely not enough time.

Texas wins 41-38.

1 comment:

Karen said...

OK Rick... I wait all week for you to get back to blogging again, and it's about... FOOTBALL???? :oD