Thursday, January 26, 2006

Sick

OK, today is two weeks since I started feeling like I was coming down with something. At first it was typical cold symptoms, and, after a few days, I started feeling better. Then, last Saturday evening it started coming back, and Sunday afternoon it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was useless for a day and a half... slept most of Monday. By Tuesday I was pretty sure I would live. Wednesday was better, and today even my congestion is breaking up some. (And I'm quite sure you wanted to hear that, right?!)

Tuesday, after being pestered by Virginia... bless her... I called Kaiser to tell them I was sick. Luckily I was coherent enough to negotiate the phone menu, eventually talking to a screener. After describing my symptoms to her, she connected me to an "advice nurse" who also listened to my symptoms. She made some suggestions, most of which I was already doing, but she was actually really nice. Pretty much it boiled down to "There's this bug going around that is keeping people sick 2 weeks or more, so keep doing what you're doing, and if you don't feel better in 3 days, call us back and you may need to come in." Well, I seem to be getting better, so I guess she was right.

Being sick is no fun, but getting well is.

No comments: