Friday, June 06, 2008

Achilles Update

Yesterday was my first day to shed the ortho-shoe and go with a running shoe, and man did it feel good! The Achilles was still sore, but the running shoe, especially with a really good insole, is so much more supportive.

The doc told me I could start back on an exercise bike once I moved to the running shoe, so I also hit the gym and pedaled for 30 minutes. It's been a month since I've done anything except push-ups, so it felt good to get my heart rate up a bit.

Although it's tough to tell day-to-day, it seems that today there was less pain or discomfort than yesterday, and I could walk more normally. It seems to be healing slowly, and for that I'm truly thankful. Hopefully by the time my next appointment rolls around on the 26th I'll get clearance to do some hiking. I think Virginia will like that too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad to find you!! I too am a runner(walker since the pain) and a fitness instructor. I am scheduled tohave the TOPAZ procedure done next month...I have been told I cannot drive for 2 weeks, but after that I can walk with a boot. The doctor has told me I can be back to teaching low impact aerobics at 6 weeks, and possibly biking at 4 weeks. I know everybody is different, but Iwas wondering, as an athlete, what was your experience..thanks Callie S.

Rick J said...

Callie, what a surprise to hear from another TOPAZ candidate. The surgery was a snap... outpatient, although they did put me out. The two weeks in-cast with crutches was a pain, but I did OK, working from home mostly and keeping it elevated as much as possible. I was totally not weight-bearing during that period.

The "boot" I wore was more like an "ortho-sandal" than a boot. At first it had a 1/2 inch lift in it (two weeks) and then the lift came out for 2 weeks. Therapy has been walking and using one of those stretchy rubber band things. My instructions were to "use pain as my guide." At the end of 4 weeks in the "ortho-sandal" I moved to running shoes, which really are more comfortable than the other.

My Achilles continues to progress slowly. At the end of each day it is a little sore and stiff, but over any several day period I can do a little more and each morning it seems to recover a little better. At this point I am riding an ex bike some and doing some on an elliptical machine in addition to walking. It's interesting that walking ends up stressing it more than the bike or el... probably because of the pushing off motion. I probably waited longer than I should have to have this done, but I'm hopeful that by summer's end I will be back at least jogging and/or hiking some distance. I go in June 26 for another follow-up.

Thanks for the inquiry. There are some other posts with pics if you want to search back through to find them. Let me know how it goes with your procedure.