Friday, June 13, 2008

Remembered

Yesterday I had word from a friend that one of the Boy Scouts killed in the tornado this week was from their old home church in Omaha. His name was Sam, and he apparently was a special kid. The preacher at that church, Jim White, has been on several news shows talking about the kind of young man Sam was. What a tragedy, but I'm glad so many are remembering him well.

Today the air waves have been filled with competitors' and co-workers' remembrances of Tim Russert, the NBC political guru and moderator of Meet the Press. A trusted friend and loving family man, he apparently died of a sudden heart attack at work today after returning early from a family trip to Italy. I know he will be missed, but it was neat to hear so many news types talking about his love and devotion for his dad and wife and son.

I remember vividly when Mr Bullough, our 8th grade social studies teacher, quietly told us that John F Kennedy had been assassinated, and over 4 years later I remember being stunned by the shootings of Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy. I remember wondering how the world would be different.

Late one night a little over 21 years ago my dad fell prey to a sudden stroke. He's been gone a long time now, but just this spring my mom told me she still misses him. I miss him too... a big part of who I am is due to his gentle nature. Thanks, Dad!

I remember several years ago learning that one of my best friends since youth group days in Oxnard had died of a heart attack after getting his family moved from Oregon to Colorado. He died in his sleep of a heart attack.

Over 2000 years ago at a Passover meal with his friends Jesus broke some very ordinary bread and said, This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.” He then shared some wine around the table, and told them, “Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”

Thank you, Jesus. My prayer is that you use the memories of our loved ones to help us remember just how much you love us. Help us remember...

No comments: