Thursday, June 19, 2008

Birthday!

It's interesting, when I was a kid I anticipated birthdays, especially those milestone birthdays like 10, 12, 16, and 21. Then as a runner looking for an age group edge anywhere I could get one, I really looked forward to those 5 and 10 year markers, hoping moving up into another age group would move me into a bracket without as many of those "young and fat guys." Sigh, it seemed that many of them always moved up with me.

As I've gotten older I've not begun to dread birthdays, but they've tended to sort of fade from any sense of urgency or importance. Yesterday as I was leaving the office for lunch, Ruth said something like, "I'll be gone when you get back, so have a good birthday tomorrow." I said, "Huh, what was that... oh, yeah, tomorrow is my birthday." It had totally slipped my mind.

However, today I felt well-celebrated. My mom and brother called this morning. Both my kids called during the day, Jen from home and Jeremy from Vegas while at a trade show. I received several emails and cards from friends.

Late this morning there was a knock on the door, and DHL delivered a big box from a Houston bakery. A bunch of our friends with whom we used to celebrate each others' birthdays had it sent. Once I got it open, peeled open the insulated pouch, removed the still intact dry ice, and opened the inner box, there staring me in the face was what has proven to be a delicious Italian Cream Cake. Check it out! VJ and I even got it cut properly without Lisa's instruction.

We actually didn't eat any until tonight. Virginia took off from work early and we went to see the Indiana Jones movie and grabbed a bite to eat. When we got home we were stuffed, but eventually supper settled enough to enjoy the cake. And enjoy it we did!!

I have to share June 19 with others, however. Lou Gehrig was born on this date, as were Guy Lombardo, Lester Flatt, and Paula Abdul... maybe that's why I like music. Of course, Moe Howard was born on 6/19 in 1897... maybe that explains Mark, Richard and I being referred to as the three stooges by that angry church member that time. Hmmm...

To top it all off, Virginia conferred with some of our younger and more tech-hip friends and bought me an Ipod Touch. I've never really desired an Ipod, but this is definitely cool. I have all my songs on it, a bunch of pics, and I can even surf the web and check email. The screen is amazing, and I could even watch a movie on it... in that rare instance when my best option for watching is on a screen that fits in the palm of my hand. I definitely feel a notch or two higher on the tech-cool scale.
Well, thanks to all who have helped me feel loved... even on this run-of-the-mill-non-milestone birthday. You guys are the best!!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Happy Birthday! Sorry I missed it. And congratulations on the IPod Touch! You have definitely arrived.