Saturday, October 04, 2008

First Storm?


We had our first storm of the season last night. Now, when I say "storm" I in now way mean what we used to experience in Arkansas or Houston. Do not think hurricane or tornadoes or lightening or the kind of rain that causes you to pull over while driving. Now, a "storm" here can have wind and a lot of rain associated with it, but that's usually those strong winter storms. This one was more like a moderate low pressure trailing a weak front that moved through pretty quickly. Whatever rain happened here in Antioch was an overnight event, and I never new it. For sure, water had run out of the house downspouts and the dirt on my car was rearranged, but I don't think we got much. Oakland got about .75 of an inch, but Concord, just over the hills from us, got only a tenth.


The upside is that today was crisp and cool and beautiful, although still a little cloudy off and on. The 21st annual Walk for Hunger was this morning, so it was about perfect for that.
It was our first rain since early March, and last winter we didn't get enough rain, so we're in sort of a drought... I believe the worst since 1992... so a rain this early is nice, and maybe it dropped some early snow in the Sierras. I just hope this is only the first of many. A wetter winter would be nice.

1 comment:

Kory Kilgore said...

No rain from March to October? I'm moving to Antioch. :)