Friday, February 03, 2006

Technology


A while back Ron Skrehot turned me on to a really good deal for Norton Security with a 3-computer license on Buy.com. We didn't have up-to-date virus protection on the auditorium computers, so I ordered it. Today I finally got around to installing the software on 2 of the computers, and it was an adventure.

The older one runs Windows 2000 and had an older version of Norton, so, as per instructions, I tried to uninstall the old version before installing the new one. I got an error that it couldn't uninstall the old version because it couldn't find some file... so I couldn't install the new... hmmmm. Sooo... I just went through and deleted all the old files I could find (I know, I know, probably not the right thing). I was then able to install the new version, run live update and do a scan. There's still a problem when the computer boots because there's some file explorer is looking for, but once we get past that, it seems to work fine. Whew!! (Maybe Ron can fix it correctly.) :-)

OK... the installation on the newer machine went smoothly, but when it started the scan it locked up after about 600 files. I tried it again... rebooted and tried again... went to the Symantec web site to download a "fix" and tried again... NO CHANGE!! I'm sure glad I had absolutely nothing else to do today (he said with his tongue firmly implanted in his cheek). Soooo... I uninstalled Norton, rebooted the computer, installed it once more... and........... IT WORKED!!

I love technology... at least at those times when I don't hate it!!

When last I left them, the two computers were humming along just fine. Hope the gremlins stay away!!!

No comments: