Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Boston 2

Well, today Kaleb and I walked with Fok over to the Harvard campus and then on to Cambridge Commons where there is lots of grass and a pretty cool playground. Fok did a workout at the gym and Jen was gone to yoga class, so Kaleb and I played and walked around reading plaques on statues, climbing on Revolutionary War vintage cannon, and just having fun.

Later we met up with Fok and Jen and caught a bus down to check out some of the historic sites along the Freedom Trail (Paul Revere's house, Old North Church, Old State House, etc.). There were a jillion (is that a real word???) people out today, but spring has arrived... the trees are in bloom, the tulips are blooming, the sun was warm... it was a good day.

We ate dinner at a tiny sort of hole-in-the-wall Italian seafood place. Really good. Kaleb and I split mussels and linguini, and I had some clam chowder as well. This place is so small, you wait out on the sidewalk until they tell you to come in, and then you sit with the other folks who come in when you do... filling up the table. It was interesting... a young business man from L.A. completed our table, and it turned out he lives in Pasadena... not far from Cal Tech... small world. I didn't ask if he knows Kevin Bacon.

We rode the T (subway) to the station close to home and walked the rest of the way. Good day!! I know I promised photos, but I forgot to bring the cable to connect my camera to my computer, so I guess they'll have to wait.

One interesting bit of trivia. I noticed that they call the weekly or monthly passes for the T Charlie Tickets. Back in the 60s there was a song by the Kingston Trio called "The MTA Song" that described the plight of "poor old Charlie" who had enough money to get on the subway but not enough to pay his way off... dooming himself to life underground. I guess they decided Charlie was famous enough 1) that one no longer has to pay his way off the train, and 2) he deserved a ticket named after him. Check out this link for all the lyrics if you are so inclined. That's all for tonight!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Sounds like you guys are having a great time! See you on Sunday.