Wednesday, December 20, 2006

California Christmas

Growing up in Southern California, my Christmas experiences generally did not involve snow men or sleigh bells or sledding or even ice skating. And most of the time I was happy about that. I mean, how many kids get to shoot hoops or play football in shorts and 70 degree weather on Christmas day? In college I appreciated it even more because it was usually pretty cold in Arkansas by the time I came home for Christmas each year. And, of course, if I really wanted some snow, more likely than not, we could drive a couple of hours up to Frazier Park or some other mountain spot and get all the tubing we wanted. I always thought it was pretty much the ideal arrangement... Christmas arriving to the melodic crooning of Bing Crosby wafting out of the window overlooking Mom's cactus garden.

In later years we got used to the occasional white Christmas when we lived in Arkansas, but if it wasn't white things were pretty gray and dead during winter. I know, I know, that's the way it's supposed to be... four seasons and all... the rebirth of nature in the Spring, etc. But I just missed not getting to shoot hoops in shorts or running barefoot in the green grass.

During our Houston years we experienced warm winters again, but the problem there was it stayed warm (or hot) and humid all year round. And, there wasn't any snow tubing two hours away. Still, we had memorable Christmas times in both places... just different than growing up.

We've been back in California for almost three years now, and, while our climate in Antioch is different than Oxnard, we are again learning to appreciate a green Christmas.

You see, the rainy season usually starts in November, and by Christmas the hills have transformed from the golden brown of fire season to a lush green. We haven't had as much early rain this year as the last couple, so the green is coming a little slower this year... today I noticed that the hills have a hint of green beginning to emerge.

That got me to thinking, and it dawned on me just how appropriate this green Christmas thing is. Most believers choose to celebrate the birth of Jesus at Christmas, and for us that marks the beginning of a story with eternal implications. I think it's pretty cool that the green hills all around here are being re-born at the same time. Maybe a green Christmas is pretty special after all.

No comments: