Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas!!


Little feet scampering around before dawn... adults yawning and stretching under the covers... wide eyes staring at Santa-filled stockings while adults snap pictures... we've had plenty of Christmas mornings like that, but not Christmas 2006. Nope, this year it was more like Virginia up earliest (not actually different from almost every day, but she did sleep until 6:30 or so)... Jeremy, Amber and I sleeping until we felt like getting up... wonderful cinnamon bread French toast in the late morning... 4 adults laughing and enjoying the creative tidbits in our stockings... and I think Virginia even snapped a couple of pics. Definitely a little different than if youngsters were around, but still fun... and still Christmas.

The rest of the day has looked pretty normal. Great smells of a variety of wonderful dishes being prepared for Christmas dinner... taking goodies to neighbors... football on TV... phone conversations with family (Jennifer, Fok and Kaleb in Canada and Grandma Johnson and Kent & Susan in Cabot). Just a good day to enjoy family and food and football and food and festivities of the day... and food.

One interesting tidbit. When I was a kid in SoCal, a bunch of us used to get together on Christmas day to play pick-up football nearly every year. It was a tradition for us. In later years and in the generally colder climes of Arkansas and Nashville, we'd often gather family members together for a big basketball game. Times have changed. I went for a run today, and my route took me through a park. There was a group of guys gathered on a field, and I immediately wondered if they were playing touch or tackle. I got a little closer and discovered they were playing neither... they were playing soccer, or football if you please. They were having fun, but I just had to sigh and chuckle to myself as I jogged by... times have changed.

So, I hope you "have yourself a Merry little Christmas." As for us... I think it's almost time for Christmas dinner.

No comments: