Friday, January 12, 2007

Man and Mountain


Doug picked me up at 6:00 this morning and we headed east... across the delta... north on I-5 to Sacramento... east on I-80 to Boreal Ridge just this side of Truckee.
The picture to the right isn't me (in case you were wondering), but it looks really cool, eh?! Not sure how much I learned about skiing, but I did learn some lingo, as in, "Like, wow, he's really catching some edge!" (Or something like that)
It seems that successful skiing is all about learning to use the edges of the skis. I did that sort of OK part of the time, but I'm pretty sure I'll need a few more trips if I actually want to say I know how to ski.
I'm not sure how cold it was when we pulled into the Boreal parking lot this morning, but it had warmed up considerably to reach 10 degrees by the time we left around 1:30... and I don't even want to think about the wind chill with the 20+mph winds. Riding the lift was... exhilarating?!? I think I might have learned even more, but I had a hard time understanding the instructor with his teeth chattering.
Actually it wasn't that bad as long as I kept moving, and the effort to get back up after falling down helped generate quite a bit of body heat. As a result, I tried to fall fairly frequently just to stay warm.
Doug skied while I was in ski school, and then he hung out on the green slope with me. I actually learned more from him than the instructor, and I was really proud of him... don't think he laughed at me even once.
Think it's supposed to be colder in the morning, so I'm pretty glad we were there today. I want to try it again, but I hope next time the weather is a bit more balmy... say around 25 or so. :)

No comments: