Monday, January 08, 2007

Spice of Life


For much of my life I've heard that variety is the spice of life. I've never known for sure if that meant that variety is a really good thing or if that was just the appropriate rationalization when thing didn't work out like you'd hoped. Still don't. I like variety in some things... but in other areas I much prefer consistency.

Sooo... why am I writing about this? Well, I watched most of the BCS championship game tonight, and the results certainly weren't what I expected... me and most of the rest of the country. I have no emotional attachment to either team, so who won the game made little difference to me. However, the way Florida dominated Ohio State was such a huge surprise that I wondered how the old saying above might apply.

Here's what I'm thinking. Ohio State truly experienced variety tonight in that they had dominated everyone all year, yet they were crushed tonight. I doubt the players would agree that this particular variation is very spicy... at least not in the good sense.

And Florida... they played really good ball all year as well and were just as good or better tonight, so I'm thinking they are currently big fans of consistency over variety as well.

I just don't know... variety may indeed be the spice of life, but my guess is some folks prefer things bland.

No comments: