Sunday, January 14, 2007

Old Friends

I think we all have people who have been part of our lives for a long time. When we're very young those long-time relationships tend to be family and neighbors. As the years go by other precious relationships are added to the collection, creating a fragrant bouquet that will often surprise us with joy when we don't even expect it.

Virginia and I had that sort of experience this weekend. As I mentioned on Wednesday, one of her long-time friends, Karen Kukta, flew up for the weekend, and it was special for VJ... and me too. Thanks, Karen, for coming.

It got me to thinking about all the people who make up my bouquet. Some have been in bloom in my life for a long time and relationships with others have blossomed rather recently. It doesn't really matter how long I've known them, each one has shaped a little of who I am today... each one is part of me. And, when I hear from or get to spend time with someone who has been part of the bouquet for a long time... well, you know what I mean.

One example. My mom taught school in Roosevelt, Oklahoma before we moved to California in 1956. Over the years she has been able to connect with several of her former students at reunions or occasionally via letters. When she started doing email a few years back she was able to connect with many of her students electronically, and her bouquet bloomed anew.

OK... I've probably carried this flower imagery too far, but at least you get the point. Enjoy the fragrance of your relationship bouquet.

No comments: