Saturday, July 16, 2005

Ashes and Dust

Virginia works full time during tax season and part time the rest of the year for Cherry, one of our friends from church. This week there was an apartment fire across the street from the tax office building (an accident related to a roofing project), and it was pretty scary for a while until the fire department got it under control. After it settled down, they talked about what it would have been like to evacuate... what they would have grabbed... I think the computers ended up getting the nod. Pretty sure I would have grabbed the chocolate too.

This morning Cherry called the house with the news that she had gotten a call last night saying the tax office building was in flames... all those years of records... those computers still in the building... but the fire department once again did it's job and the fire was contained in another part of the building. I guess they'll found out if there was smoke or water damage today.

I tend to run around with this illusion that I can direct things in my life, yet in so many ways our lives are so out of our hands. I guess the obvious move here is to just remind myself and be thankful that God is not transient... that His promises are faithful... that He is in control even when all I see around me are ashes and dust.

1 comment:

Rick J said...

I love the way God uses each of us to sharpen the other... thanks for the times you have been a "whet stone" to me or Virginia or others!