Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Blindsides

I enjoy riding my bike to work 2 or 3 days a week if it's not too hot or cold... which out here in the Bay area (even the East Bay hills) is pretty often. It's pretty safe riding as well because there huge network of bike trails and almost all the roads have bike lanes. Even so, I've learned that I have to expect the unexpected when I'm riding my bike even more than when I'm in my car. This morning I was met on a narrow part of the trail by a man walking 2 pit bulls on very long leashes. I immediately got this vision of a bike, 2 dogs, lost of leash, and me all tangled up in a heap... so I just stopped. It all worked out, and the guy was very nice, "Sorry... they're friendly... sorry." There have been other occasional adventures as well, and I guess riding is risky in some sense. I've just decided that the benefits far outweigh the risks, and I keep riding.

After I got to the office I checked out Brandon Scott Thomas' blog and I was blindsided again. Here is in part what he wrote:

On Monday of last week Sheryl went in to get some things checked out. She could feel a mass in her abdomen on her right side that was concerning both of us. The doctor was also very concerned after feeling it. It was quite large. She sent Sheryl to the hospital for a CT scan. While she was there, they ordered more tests and Sheryl became very concerned. Meanwhile, I was at home with the kids and Kiki and we were praying and trying not to freak out.

The short of it is that Sheryl's kidney was actually the mass they were feeling. It is roughly the size of a football and has pushed all her other organs to the left side of her body. IT'S CRAZY!! The doctor isn't sure if it's functioning or if it will function again. And while this all sounds very serious, we felt like having a party that it wasn't a football sized tumor. It's funny what perspective does, isn't it?
We have an appointment at the urology surgery center on August 2nd. At that time they will try and figure out what's really going on. Meanwhile, Sheryl continues to walk around with her gigantic kidney. The amazing thing is (and this is a very good thing according to the Dr.) she is in no pain.


I know they feel blindsided as well. Let's keep Sheryl and her family in our prayers.


No comments: