Thursday, July 28, 2005

Leavin' on a Jet Plane

Peter, Paul and Mary sang back in the 60's...

O, my bags are packed, I'm ready to go;
I'm standin' here outside your door;
I hate to wake you up to say goodbye.
But the dawn is breakin', it's early morn;
Taxi's waitin'... blowin' his horn.
Already I'm so lonsome I could cry.
I'm leavin' on a jet plane;
Don't know when I'll be back again;
Leavin' on jet plane... O, babe, I hate to go.

I've put enough people on jet planes over the years that I really understand the sentiment of the song. Tomorrow we'll be taking Jen and Kaleb to LAX where they'll be leavin' on a jet plane... going to join Fok in Boston to begin life together as a new family.

I have those feelings of nostalgia for sure... those feelings that one era is ending inexorably morphing into another. More than those feelings, however, I feel joy and pride over all they have already done... and I'm looking forward to learning of and taking part in (even if only vicariously) the new adventure they are undertaking... the new life and family they are forging together... their hands joined with one another and with God.

Leavin' on a jet plane... go with God! Oh... and see you at Thanksgiving!

No comments: