Thursday, May 22, 2008

Cast Away


Well, my appointment at Kaiser went well. As soon as we checked in at the Ortho reception desk they called me into the cast room and cut my cast away. After a quick look they removed my stitches and Dr Hamilton came in and looked at how my Achilles is healing. He said things look good... progressing as expected.

Next they fitted me with the stylish shoe displayed below... doc H called it a Kaiser-Air shoe. Because my Achilles is understandably sore and my entire foot is stiff (termed cast disease), my first few steps were pretty painful. I was told to continue to use my comfort sticks (crutches) and gingerly increase walking my foot allows it. They told me that pain should be my guide... pushing up to but not through the pain as I increase walking. They also gave me one of those big rubber bands to use for strengthening and stretching.


The ortho shoe has a heel lift added. After a week I'll remove the lift, and after one more week I'll move to a running shoe. June 26 I have a follow-up appointment to see how I'm progressing.

My plan is to follow the doc's orders and get this thing healed.

1 comment:

Jen said...

That shoe almost looks comfortable. I hope that the cast disease eases quickly!