Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A Time to Graduate


Depending on location and whether it's high school or college, it's likely than many of us are close to someone who has graduated or will graduate this spring. I ran across some quotes from graduation speeches and thought I'd share some of my favorites.

How will your experience pave the way for a new voice in America? I hope it will take you out these doors, out into the open air. You will breathe it in your lungs and say, "From now on, this life will be what I stand for... Move over--this is my story now."
Jodie Foster, University of Pennsylvania, 2006

I was a loser in high school. With grades, with girls, with sports... I was a geek, a dweeb, a dork, a tool. I still am, but for a cartoonist, that's a job description. And I'm here to tell my fellow dweebs and losers that your day will come. High school is not the final word on you. There is hope.
Doug Marlette, Durham Academy, 2005


The really important kind of freedom involves attention and awareness and discipline, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them over and over in myriad petty, unsexy ways every day.
David Foster Wallace, Kenyon College, 2005

No comments: