Saturday, August 20, 2005

Accepting God's Invitation

Yesterday I spent some time reading numerous comments on Mike Cope's Blog about Harding's decision to include vitriolic right-wing Ann Coulter in their American Studies Speakers series. To the extent that decision is a reflection of politics informing and influencing faith, I am saddened and disappointed, but the reality is that I can't do much to effect a change in those policies. I'm convicted that I can make more of a difference focusing on local Kingdom service.

This morning I sent what I hope was an encouraging email to most of my church family... pointing out how God is working among us and encouraging all of us to join in with the things he is doing. I truly believe that we each need to be about personal ministry, but I also am convinced that the most effective way we can partner with God is through prayer. Not just prayer for the sick or those having surgery or those in some sort of need... although these are absloutely vital. We must also commit to partnering with God in prayer about how we grow as a church family, how we best reach out to others, who our youth minister should be, what changes we need to make, and who God wants us to become.

Then I went out for a run in the hills that back up to our neighborhood. I ran for about 90 minutes, and I thought about what I'd written and I prayed. I asked myself how committed I am to truly partnering with God in prayer. I mean, it's so much easier to just be busy with church work. Can I commit to the kind of prayer I think is important for our church? If I can't, then how I ask others to? So... I ran and I prayed... and I committed to pray for my church... for our elders... for our ministries... for God's empowering leadership by His Spirit.

I hope others will commit along with me... and I really need someone to partner with me in prayer... to hold me accountable to my commitment. I believe God is on the verge of doing wonderful things at Eastside, and He's inviting us to get on board.

1 comment:

Fajita said...

Nice comments. Good reminder of where the power really is.