Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Life in the Spirit

I clearly remember as a kid listening to all the logical arguments about why the Spirit does not interact with us today... I really don't remember all the details, but I do remember men whom I respected, whom I thought had all the answers, concluding that the Spirit's task was to guide the disciples "into all truth," and that task was completed when the New Testament was complete. Needless to say, I later learned that they didn't have as many answers as I had thought... that their view of the Spirit was pretty narrow and limiting.

Fast forward to this morning. Jarrod and I, as we do each week, spent some time talking about this coming Sunday. It's always stimulating... there is always a good exchange of ideas... the results are almost always Spirit-led... something more than the sum of our efforts. And sometimes, like today, the Spirit is so much a part of our conversation that we find ourselves just saying, "Wow!"

I'm thankful for the Spirit's guidance in giving us the Word, but I'm also really grateful that He also mysteriously indwells and empowers us to be more than our own intellects and skills could ever yield.

No comments: